Tuesday, March 3, 2026

A Life Measured in Quiet Things


I find myself, these days,
slipping backward through halls of memory,
touching the doorframes of old classrooms,
pulpits, blank canvases, half‑filled notebooks,
wondering what any of it added up to.

I was a teacher once,
planting ideas like seeds in soil
I would never see again.
Some sprouted. I think.
Some may have withered.
Most grew in places I’ll never walk.

I was a preacher, too,
sending words into the air
like birds released from my hands,
hoping they’d land somewhere soft,
Somewhere needed.
Hoping they’d matter.

I wrote things down,
trying to catch the truth
before it slipped away.
I painted, too,
color where there had been none,
shape where there had been only feeling.

And now I ask myself,
as the road behind grows longer
than the road ahead:
What difference did I make?
Will the world notice when I’m gone?

But maybe the world is not the witness
I should be looking for.
Maybe legacy is quieter than I imagined,
a student who still remembers a sentence I forgot saying,
a sermon that steadied someone on a night
I never knew was dangerous,
a painting that made one person breathe easier,
a line in a book that helped someone feel less alone.

Maybe the measure of a life
is not the noise it leaves behind,
But the gentleness it offered
in moments that asked for it.

And if that is true,
Then perhaps my life
has been larger than I knew,
woven into other lives
in ways I’ll never see,
but ways that mattered
all the same.

wcd

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits