Wednesday, April 1, 2026

My Quiet Rebellion

 

I’m getting smarter, I suppose,
But not in the loud, triumphant way they promise you when you’re young and sprinting,
But in the slow‑burn way that sneaks up on you when you finally step off the racetrack,
And realize the world keeps running laps toward a finish line that really never mattered.

People think age makes you soft in the head. They talk slowly, raise their voices like you're underwater, as if you can’t hear the game they’re playing or see the angles they think they’re hiding. Funny thing is you see more now than you ever did. Clarity is the one gift time hands out for free.

At church, I’ve become a kind of pleasant ghost, not unwelcome, just invisible. Folks look past me. At least at the grocery store They pause long enough to let me go ahead in the checkout line. A small courtesy for becoming a man the world no longer rushes.

And then there’s the mirror, That traitor. I catch my reflection in a window and do a double take, wondering who let that old man borrow my posture, my eyes, My quiet disappointment. Takes me a second to admit It’s just me, weathered by the years I didn’t feel passing.

I meet new people and feel this strange urge to hand them my résumé to explain that I used to be someone with edges and purpose and a name that meant something in certain rooms. But the truth is, I’m tired of auditioning for a role I’ve already played.

Some days, the sunset calls my name a little too sweetly. The idea of slipping out quietly, letting the world keep spinning without my weight on it... It has its appeal. But I’m not done yet. Not disappearing. Not apologizing for taking up space.

So here’s where I’ve landed: I’m choosing the soft rebellion of no longer giving a damn, not in bitterness, but in liberation. A quiet, complete release from the need to be seen, understood, or validated.

I’ve lived enough life to know who I am. And that, finally, Is quite enough.

wcd

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits