DouglasArt Online Shop

Art Prints

Monday, April 20, 2026

What Do You Believe In?

 

Someone asked me what I believe in,
and whether I’m “for” Republicans or Democrats.
So here's my answer, for better or worse,
This is the truth of it.
I don’t fit neatly into either box,
And I probably never have.
I grew up believing in the American Dream,
the kind you reach for with both hands...
and a little hope.
I’ve lived long enough to see wars
That didn’t feel right or just,
and watched this country argue with itself
more times than I can count.
But I’ve also seen the best of us.
America has always been a melting pot to me,
a place where the Statue of Liberty
still means something.
My own ancestors came here chasing a promise,
And I haven’t forgotten about that.
My loyalty isn’t to a party,
And it surely isn’t to a politician.
I'm loyal to ideals,
the kind you carry quietly,
the kind that shape how you treat people.
I believe immigration should be legal
and orderly.
I believe the law should treat us all the same,
I believe in education,
in honest work,
And in the strength of community.
And I believe in the Constitution
and I believe in our democracy;
I believe these hold us together
when the storms of war roll in.
So that’s my political reality,
As simply as I can say it.
It's what I've always believed in,
And that's the truth of it.

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits