Thursday, May 28, 2026

On the Home Stretch Without Apology

 

I’m learning to guard the gates of my life,
to stop leaving the door wide open
for people who only wander through
out of curiosity.
Easy access to someone has a cost,
Paid it too many times
with trampled feelings and silence
where care should’ve been.
Age has a way of clearing the fog.
You can see the home stretch from here,
not in fear,
But in clarity.
There’s no time left
for pretending folks understand your heart
just because you’ve handed it to them.
No room for believing everyone likes you,
or loves you,
or even thinks twice about you
after they walk away.
I’m learning that a time investment
isn’t always mutual.
Some people take your years,
your prayers,
your presence
your goodness
and offer back only what’s convenient.
And when the pain of holding on
outweighs the pleasure,
It’s not disloyalty to let go.
It’s survival.
It’s wisdom.
It’s peace.
I’m taking stock now
of what I’ve given,
what I’ve lost,
What I still hope to leave behind.
Legacy isn’t built on who stayed close,
but on who I became
through the staying,
the breaking,
the rising,
and the choosing again
to walk forward with a steady heart and mind,
To honor the years I have lived
and the ones I'll leave behind.
To stop shrinking for people
who never learned to see me.
To step into the quiet truth
that not everyone is meant
to walk the whole road with me.
But we are still here!
still learning,
still loving,
still shaping the story
We’ll leave behind.
Without apology.

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits