DouglasArt Online Shop

Art Prints

Friday, July 10, 2026

Friendship Exit, Stage Left

 

Friendship Exit, Stage Left
Friendships sometimes end with a fizzle
and a subtle slide toward the nearest exit.
You don’t owe anyone a dissertation.
Just the quiet confidence
that you’re allowed to walk away
from anyone who discounts your life
And makes you miserable.
And once you have that fixed in your mind,
You can start looking for escape hatches,
the polite, gentle excuses,
for those who’ve become too constant, too draining,
too much for your peace of mind.
“I should’ve told you earlier, I’m an immigrant.”
He’ll freeze, start rethinking,
trying to figure out what reaction won’t get him canceled.
While he’s buffering, you can exit stage left.
“I’ve gone full Democrat.”
Say it like you switched toothpaste brands.
They’ll either lecture you or dump you.
Either way, congratulations. You’re free.
“I’m simplifying my life.”
Which is code for
You’re loud, you’re exhausting,
And I’m not your emotional janitor.
“I’m focusing on my mental health.”
Nobody argues with that.
It’s the friendship equivalent
of pulling the emergency brake.
“I’m stepping back from people who drain me.”
You don’t have to name names.
They’ll know.
They always know.
“I’m not doing drama anymore.”
If they insist they're not dramatic,
That’s your proof they absolutely are.
“I’m spending more time with family.”
Even if your family is just you,
your dog,
and the quiet corner of your couch.
“We’ve grown in different directions.”
That's the polite way of saying:
You grew sideways,
And I grew up.
And that’s the whole deal,
not cruelty, not fireworks,
just the steady courage
to choose your own peace
over someone else’s noise.

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits