Soon enough, I’ll drive that stretch of familiar highway,
back toward the town where my name
used to mean something different.
I can already feel the weirdness of
being invited back not to preach or teach,
not to shepherd,
but to create, to show, to stand there
as the person I've become
after I stepped away.
I keep imagining the faces.
Some will stare, trying to reconcile
the man who once stood behind a pulpit or podium,
with the one who now stands behind a canvas,
or a script,
or whatever shape my work takes that day.
They’ll search for the old outlines,
the familiar vocal cadence,
the version of me they tucked away
into their memory years ago.
I wonder how it will feel
to walk older now into a place where I used to speak
with a different kind of authority,
one I no longer carry,
one I no longer want or need.
This time, I’m not arriving with answers,
or scripture, or texts,
or the weight of expectation.
I’m arriving with color, paint
with story,
with the strange freedom
that comes from rebuilding yourself
outside the frameworks time gave you.
There’s a quiet thrill in it,
but also a quiet ache.
Not regret, just the awareness
that I’m returning as someone
they didn’t see me becoming.
Someone I had to leave to find.
Maybe they’ll understand.
Maybe they won’t.
But I’ll be there anyway
not to prove anything,
not to correct the past,
Just to show what grew
after I stepped out of the role
that once defined me.
Soon, I’ll walk back in,
and the future version of me
will meet the old one
in the only place
that ever held both.
And it will be okay.

No comments:
Post a Comment