DouglasArt Online Shop

Art Prints

Monday, September 7, 2026

Something Old at Something New

 

Something Old at Something New
I’m getting ready for an art show,
pretending I don't care
about opinions I’ll still feel in my gut.
Pretending “no sales” won’t sting,
even though I know it will
just enough to remind me
I’m still made of a few stupid things.
I keep wondering how people
from my other lifetime
will see me now.
If they’ll recognize anything,
or if I’ve changed too much
or not enough.
I tell myself it doesn’t matter,
but of course it does.
I rehearse conversations in my head,
the casual ones,
the nonchalant ones,
the ones where I don’t look like
I’m secretly hoping for praise
I swear I don’t need.
But God, it would be nice
to hear something kind
without asking for it.
I’m excited and
nervous in that way
that feels like standing in a doorway
between who I was
and who I’m growing to be.
Hoping old friends show up
with new eyes,
and maybe I’ll see them
with new eyes too.
I’m trying to walk into this
like it’s just another day,
but it isn’t.
It’s me,
showing up for something new,
And that has to count for something.

Shared with Your friends

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits