DouglasArt Online Shop

Art Prints

Monday, September 21, 2026

When Friends Drop By


When Friends Drop By

When friends drop by,
the ones who once occupied my classroom
with basic minds and crazy ideas;
I feel the years fold in
As they walk back in as adults.
For a moment I still see
the younger versions of them,
leaning too far back in desks,
Me trying not to laugh at the tipping point.
We talk like we always did,
only now the titles have changed.
I’m not “Mr. Douglas” anymore,
just Wendell,
and the shift feels natural,
earned somehow.
We pick up the conversation
as if it had been only paused,
not abandoned,
and the old stories rise up
with a kind of inside-joke confidence.
My mind races back
to chalk dust,
to the hum of fluorescent lights,
to those stifled grins
when something funny happened
and they tried to hide it
behind a notebook.
I remember the conversations
that seemed ordinary then
but feel sharp and fresh now,
as if time preserved them
for this exact moment.
And I wonder what to make of it;
how the past can sit quietly
for decades
and then step forward
the instant familiar faces
cross my doorway.
How the roles we once held
can soften, shift,
and settle into friendship
without ceremony.
When friends drop by,
I’m reminded that teaching
was never just a job.
It was the beginning
of a long, winding conversation
that somehow continues
whenever they show up
and say,
“Hey, thought we'd drop by.”

No comments:

Feedback, Please

Email Your Feedback/Thoughts

Send Feedback

Blog Visits